Director of Grantmaking
Position: Director of Grantmaking
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: President & CEO
Summary: The Director of Grantmaking will be responsible for administering the Discretionary Grantmaking and Youth Engagement in Philanthropy programs.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following in addition to other duties as assigned by the President & CEO.
1. Create and maintain regular communications with nonprofit agencies.
2. Represent the Foundation by participating in community meetings that reflect the grantmaking side of the Foundation.
3. Confer with Vice President of Finance and Operations on the annual Discretionary Grantmaking and YEP Program budgets and keeps an account of the budgets throughout the year.
4. Work with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to update all information on the website, market and communicate the program to the community, and provide information on grantees for print and digital media.
5. Receive and respond to all inquiries from organizations seeking grants from the Foundation; interpret grantmaking guidelines and policy.
6. Utilize grantmaking software to receive applications and grant agreements, issue awards and denial letters, and verify final reports.
7. Update application as appropriate for all grant programs.
8. Review and check for completion of each application, contacting organizations for additional information if necessary.
9. Arrange and prepare information for Distribution Committee meetings, including options for evaluation, recommendations, reports on trends, etc.
10. Attend all Distribution Committee meetings and discuss recommendations with its members, highlighting the available budget and opportunities.
11. Obtain board approval of all Distribution Committee recommendations.
12. Track deadline dates of each awarded grant and review and approve grant deadline extensions, if appropriate, with the consent of Distribution Committee.
13. Make site visits to applicants and, when necessary, arrange for post-grant visits by members of the Distribution Committee.
14. Communicate with representatives of advisory funds, identifying ways for them to support the needs of the community’s nonprofits.
15. Work with the Foundation staff to host two annual grantee recognition ceremonies.
Youth Engagement in Philanthropy (YEP)
1. Market YEP program with Marketing and Communications Coordinator to recruit new students yearly.
2. Facilitate application and gather all necessary paperwork from all program participants and their parents.
3. Coordinate YEP events calendar with youth leadership in the program.
4. Work with YEP leadership team to develop plans for monthly meetings and ongoing development of the program.
5. Outline potential fundraising opportunities for the program and organize youth to lead these activities.
6. Outline potential service projects and community events throughout the year and organize youth to lead these activities.
7. Recruit adult mentors to provide support for the program, organizing opportunities and outlining roles and responsibilities.
8. Document program highlights, successes, and outcomes, and communicate it to the public with the assistance of the Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
9. Update content on the grantmaking program and YEP program website pages to reflect accurate information.
10. Coordinate YEP grantmaking program; highlight the availability of the program to the nonprofit community, update program guidelines as needed, and build financial support for the program.
11. Coordinate site visits to agencies with the youth as appropriate and in line with the Youth Protection Policy of the Foundation.
12. Interact with youth utilizing appropriate communication platforms, such as Remind, that are in line with the Youth Protection Policy of the Foundation.
13. Report to the President and CEO and Board of Directors on the success of the program.
14. Work with the Foundation staff to host recognition ceremonies and events on a yearly basis.
The Community Foundation of the Fox River Valley is a collection of individual funds and resources given by local citizens to enhance and support the quality of life in the Fox River Valley. Foundation funds are used to provide grants to non-profit organizations and scholarships to area students.
We are a tax-exempt public charity that allows individuals, businesses, and other non-profit organizations to establish permanent endowment and temporary funds within the confines of one large foundation. The Community Foundation of the Fox River Valley primarily serves the Greater Aurora Area, the TriCities and Kendall County.
1. Highly organized and creative, with extreme attention to detail
2. Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
3. Proficient typing and computer skills; database experience; knowledge of software packages including Microsoft Office 365
4. Project management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
5. Ability to adapt to increasing demands of growing organization and interest in process improvement
6. Ability to work in a high-paced environment and take initiative for new projects
7. Ability to work as a team member, collaborating with and supporting other staff as needed
8. Ability to have customer service as top priority
9. Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
10. Not-for-Profit experience preferred
11. Grantwriting experience preferred
12. Bachelor’s degree required in related field
Compensation & Benefits
The Foundation provides a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications including vacation time; health, dental, and vision insurance; and a matching 403(b) deferred compensation package.
The Community Foundation of the Fox River Valley considers applications for all positions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
We ask that those interested in applying send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No calls, please.
To download the job description, click here.